A week-long, partial truce came into effect across Afghanistan on Saturday, with jubilant civilians celebrating in the streets to mark a potentially historic turning point in the war, even as isolated attacks threatened to undermine the process.
The Taliban, US and Afghan forces have all agreed to a so-called “reduction in violence” which, if it holds, will be only the second lull in fighting since 2001.
“It is the first morning that I go out without the fear of being killed by a bomb or suicide bomber. I hope it continues forever,” Kabul taxi driver Habib Ullah said, while in other parts of the country people danced in the streets.
However, in Balkh province in the north, Taliban militants attacked a district headquarters near the provincial capital of Mazar-i-Sharif, killing two Afghan soldiers, a local official told AFP.
The attack came after midnight, when the partial truce had already kicked in. There were also reports of a separate incident in central Uruzgan province.
General Scott Miller, who leads US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, stressed that Western forces would continually monitor the “reduction in violence”.
“The objective here is that we reduce violence for Afghanistan and that it doesn’t spike,” Miller told reporters, adding that he was confident of the Taliban’s overall commitment to the process.
The partial truce is expected to set the conditions for Washington and the insurgents to sign a deal that could, ultimately, pull US troops out after more than 18 years and launch war-weary Afghanistan into an uncertain future.
A successful week would show the Taliban can control their forces and demonstrate good faith ahead of any signing, which both the US and the insurgents have said could be done on February 29 in Doha.
It also gives a much-needed respite to civilians, who have long borne the brunt of the bloody war.
The UN’s Afghanistan mission said Saturday that more than 10,000 people had been killed or wounded in the war in 2019 alone.