Tasnim News Agency reported on Sunday that a potential memorandum of understanding (MOU) between Iran and the United States requires ending the war across all fronts, including in Lebanon. The Iranian news agency indicated that disagreements over one or two clauses of the MOU were still ongoing.
According to the reported details, the initial memorandum of understanding (MOU), if finalized, would stipulate a comprehensive cessation of hostilities between the United States and its allies on one side and Iran and its allies on the other. This clause would also require ‘Israel’, as a US ally, to halt its military operations in Lebanon.
The framework reportedly outlines a phased process beginning with de-escalation measures, followed by structured negotiations. A 30-day period is envisioned for steps related to lifting the naval blockade on Iran and managing transit through the Strait of Hormuz, while a separate 60-day track would be dedicated to negotiations on the nuclear file.
The reports stress that Iran has not agreed to take any immediate nuclear-related steps at this stage, maintaining that such issues would only be addressed in subsequent talks.
Iran’s Frozen Assets
A key condition highlighted in the draft is the release of part of Iran’s frozen assets at the outset. Tehran have insisted that any agreement be contingent on immediate access to a portion of these funds, citing previous instances where commitments were not fulfilled, according to Tasnim. Mechanisms for releasing the remaining assets would be negotiated during the follow-up phase, with Iran warning it could reconsider participation if the process is obstructed.
On maritime issues, the understanding reportedly does not envision a full return to pre-war conditions in the Strait of Hormuz. Instead, it proposes restoring shipping volumes to previous levels within 30 days, while Iran would continue to assert its sovereignty over the waterway. Any easing of restrictions on transit would be tied to US compliance with broader commitments, including the full lifting of the naval blockade within the same timeframe.

The draft also reportedly includes a US commitment to withdraw combat forces from areas surrounding Iran, a demand long emphasized by Tehran as part of broader de-escalation efforts.
Rift on Clauses Still Ongoing
Meanwhile, Tasnim quoted an informed source as saying that disagreements between Iran and the US over one or two clauses of a possible memorandum of understanding are still ongoing.
The source noted on Sunday that due to US obstruction, the issue of settlement of differences has not yet been finalized.
The source emphasized that Iran insists on securing the rights of its people.
He said the Pakistani mediator has been notified by Iran that if US obstruction continues, there will be no possibility of finalizing the memorandum of understanding.
On the other hand, the news agency quoted an Iranian military source as saying that while there are indications pointing to a possible announcement of a preliminary MoU, Iran is also prepared for the possibility of the talks failing at this stage.
“Iran’s Armed Forces, taking into account the record of war-mongering and crimes by the US government and the possibility of any hostile action from it as well as the Zionist regime, always remain in full readiness regardless of the status of negotiations,” the military source said, according Tasnim.
Tasnim news agency cites Iranian military source: While there are indications pointing to a possible deal with the US, Iran is prepared for possible collapse of negotiations pic.twitter.com/YusBlASkQv
— Al-Manar English (@manarenglish) May 24, 2026
Earlier on Saturday, Axios reported remarks by US President Donald Trump, who said that a deal aimed at ending the war with Iran could be announced “shortly.” The US media outlet said Trump’s statement “marks his strongest signal yet that he is prepared to endorse a memorandum of understanding currently under negotiation with Tehran.”
Source: Tasnim News Agency (translated and edited by Al-Manar)