Tuesday, 17/02/2026   
   Beirut 12:35

Israeli Occupation Proceeds Gaza Attacks as Hamas Rejects Disarmament Ultimatum

A view of displaced Palestinians living in makeshift tents among the rubble in the Jabaliya area as families struggle to survive amid heavy winter conditions (January 2026).

Israeli occupation forces carried out a new wave of bombing and demolition operations early Tuesday, targeting multiple areas across the Gaza Strip in what marked a renewed field escalation in both the north and south.

Israeli artillery shelled eastern areas of Khan Younis in southern Gaza, while warplanes launched two airstrikes on the same area.

Additional air raids struck Rafah in the south, as Israeli forces proceeded with the demolition of homes in northern Gaza.

The attacks constitute continued violations of the ceasefire agreement, which took effect on October 10.

The agreement is said to have brought an end to the war on Gaza that began on October 7, leaving more than 70,000 Palestinians martyred and over 170,000 wounded, the majority of them women and children.

60-Day Ultimatum

Earlier on Monday, Hamas has rejected remarks by an Israeli government official calling for the Palestinian resistance group to disarm in 60 days and threatening to resume Israeli genocidal war if it fails to comply.

Senior Hamas official Mahmoud Mardawi told Al Jazeera Mubasher on Monday that he had no knowledge of such a demand.

“Statements made by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu … and through the media are merely threats with no basis in the ongoing negotiations”, Al Jazeera Arabic cited him as saying.

Mahmoud Mardawi Hamas
Mahmoud Mardawi, senior Hamas official in an image from archive.

Mardawi’s comments come after Israeli Cabinet Secretary Yossi Fuchs, during a conference in occupied Al-Quds (Jerusalem) on Monday, threatened to renew the genocidal war on Gaza if Hamas failed to disarm in 60 days, local media outlet the Times of Israel reported.

A top aide to Netanyahu, Fuchs claimed that the two-month period was requested by the United States administration. “We are respecting that,” he alleged.

Source: Agencies (translated and edited by Al-Manar)