Turkish Foreign Minister announced Thursday that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan ordered preparations to be made to launch international probe into murder of Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi.
In an interview with Turkish broadcaster A Haber, Mevlut Cavusoglu said it is time for an international investigation to be launched into the killing of, who was killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last October.
Cavusoglu said Erdogan ordered preparations to be made to carry the case to an international level, and said a United Nations special rapporteur will be coming to Turkey.
Khashoggi, a royal insider who became a critic of Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and began writing for the Washington Post after moving to the United States, was killed in the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2.
After making numerous contradictory statements about Khashoggi’s fate, Riyadh said he had been killed and his body dismembered when negotiations to persuade him to return to Saudi Arabia failed.
Turkey has previously said it was working with other countries on the Khashoggi investigation, and has accused Saudi Arabia of not fully cooperating to uncover the journalist’s killing.